Saturday, May 07, 2005

Did someone say coffee?

So last weekend I'm off buying much needed furniture for ma maison. I had scoped everything out the weekend before and made my decision through the week, so Saturday was the day to seal the deal. So I got the feeling the furniture man was flirting with me the weekend before but because I'm kinda clueless in spotting these things while they're occurring, I wasn't quite positive. But when I got home Saturday and he called to say the truck was on the way, then mentioned he'd come down and "we'll have coffee sometime..." I realized my instinct wasn't too far off the mark.

Then a scant 24 hours later I'm strolling through the display booths at the once a year Home Show (stuff for home owners like I can afford any of it because I'm a home owner DUH) and I happen to run into a young man I had coffee with (are we sensing the pattern yet?) a few months ago. He was manning the financial... whatever he does booth. So we chatted, he asked questions to show me that he was indeed interested in what I've been up to since our one date so many months ago (do I look excited?), then says "I'll drop in and we'll go for coffee sometime... "

I'm just now realizing that in my neck of the woods that 'coffee' is the First Date of choice. But when you think about it, it's perfect. It's casual and comfortable with minimal financial investment for the gentleman (you think I'm paying?! phft) should he realize halfway through the date the lady in question has all the intelligence of a garden variety mushroom or a laugh like a Ford Tempo with a broken fan belt. And lest you think I'm that altruistic in my thinking, if you've met some of the gents I've dated lately, they're not the only ones that need to sit close to the exit and be able to fake food poisoning on the fly. "Oh will you look at the time?! I've got to hurry home and give my dog his epilepsy medication!" WHOOSH! and there she goes...

I'm not fussy or picky, but I know what I want and what I will and will not put up with. I'm very comfortable with who I am and make no apologies for it. I won't settle for any less than how I deserve to be treated... and once I developed that attitude the calibre of menfolk that came calling improved drastically. I'm not a regular Oprah watcher (I'm a 9-5er) but I did catch that episode with the 'He's Just Not That Into You' people and it was SOOOO bang on it was scary and I really sincerely hoped that all the women out there that let themselves be treated like Tier 4 booty calls got the message and got it together. They will treat you how you let them treat you. And that goes for guys too. It's not gender specific.

Anyway... I swore I wasn't going to ramble on with my first ever post but I should have known better. This blog stuff is better than therapy for us frustrated writers without a venue.

4 comments:

Kelly Boyce said...

Ramble on, my friend. RAM-BLE ON.

Maxx said...

hahah I think you forgot the AMEN SISTAH!

Kelly Boyce said...

AAAAMEN SISTAH!!

Maxx said...

Thanx Nicki. And stay tuned... I have LOADS more stories of dating hell to make you appreciate your hubby even more.